RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carol & David <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 07:31:12 -0800
Hi Lance :)

> << Now that I've tasted salmon sashimi, I often crave that too. >>
>
> I'm new to the raw meat thing . . . but this salmon sashimi sounds good.  Is
> it just raw salmon or what?  Is it a Japanese dish?  If I wanted to fix it
> myself, how would I do so?

It comes under the general heading of "sushi", so yes, it is Japanese.
Sashimi, in particular, is raw fish without all the rice and doo-dads
-- just fish.  Sushi restaurants around here serve two kinds of salmon
sashimi, fresh and smoked.  I go for the fresh.  When it's good, it's
smooth as butter and oh so delicious, without the least bit of fishy
smell.

As far as doing it yourself, I wouldn't recommend it.  First of all,
sushi chefs are rigorously trained in spotting signs of parasites in
the fish.  Second, I've gotten salmon (and ahi tuna) at the store a
couple of times, when it specifically said that it was for sushi, but
found it pretty horrible compared to what I was used to from the sushi
restaurants.  You might have better luck, but be warned...

Do you have an ocean nearby?  Forgive me if you mentioned it before.
I have a hard time keeping everyone's details straight. :)

Carol