RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 16:43:37 +0100
Axel:

> for some really weird reason, many, many people do not "feel" like killing
> animals, or that killing is ok. now of course you can say it is for this or
> that, but who knows. we can make really interesting theories for ever. some
> people feel they have a spiritual part.

A few remarks on killing animals and spirituality:

 -It is true that that some people choose not to kill for spiritual
reasons, but many people who wouldn't kill an animal are not spiritual
at all: they don't kill, just because they are afraid of blood, which
has nothing to do with being spiritual.

 -I don't have a clear definition of spirituality, but I don't see why
killing animals should in principle be incompatible with any/all forms of
spirituality. I admit that killing by itself is not spiritual, but
neither are eating, peeing, etc.

 -In hunter-gatherer societies, every male has to kill, and doesn't
mind doing so. If you belonged to a society where killing is normal,
then you wouldn't find it repulsive. (Even in today's world, farmers
don't mind slaughtering a chicken for dinner.)

 -Not all people who don't kill animals are peaceful (Hitler was
vegetarian). It is possible to kill animals for food and be peaceful
towards other humans.

--Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>