RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 07:35:34 -0800
Wes Peterson wrote:

> Hi Reggie ;)

Hey :)

> > It seems to me that fragmentation is more the rule than the
> > exception anyway, so why do folks fret about it?  It certainly
> > isn't unnatural; animals do it in the wild all the time.
>
> Yeah, exactly. Why fret about it? I consume the whole egg. If you or
> Kirt want just the yolk, all the power to you. Different strokes for
> different folks. By the way, "animals do it all the time" -- are you
> saying they separate egg white from the yolk?

No.  I was talking about fragmentation in general, but since you
brought it up... I do have dogs, and when I give them raw eggs,
they go for the yolk first (probably because it's easier -- they
are lazy beasts).  When that is gone, they sniff the white and
look to me for more.  If no more yummy stuff is on offer, they
occassionally give the remaining white a few licks, but usually
just leave it where it sits.  If, on the other hand, I give them
yolks only, they'll lick that bowl until it gleams.  It seems
that they don't dig egg white much more than I do.

> > To eat something that isn't yummy just makes no sense to me.  Now,
> > I'm not saying that just because I think egg white is tasteless and
> > revolting, everyone else should too.  Maybe some folks like its
>
> Throw the egg(s) in a blender with banana(s), some pure water for
> consistency, blend, drink, enjoy. Great combination if you don't like
> the taste of the white. There are other combinations too, like
> coconut/egg/water, or any number of others.

But why?  I see no need to fool my tastebuds just so that I can eat
something that holds no appeal for me.  It isn't as if I can't find
other things to eat that are nutritious AND yummy.

> > taste.  But I'm not going to deprive myself of egg yolk, which I
> > find deeelicious, just because of fear of the vague evils of
> > fragmentation.
>
> Does this same ideology also apply to whole grains vs. refined? "The
> vague evils of fragmentation" -- white bread vs. whole grain... :)

It's kind of a moot point for me, since I'm not into grains, but I
see what you mean.  However, if one is going to carry the wheat/egg
comparison further, I would propose that the wheat germ is like the
yolk, and the starch left over after refining is like the white.
Sure, raw refined wheat, like egg white, has some nutritional value.
But the germ has more and it's much tastier.  If I were into making
more work for myself, and if I liked grains, I'd probably be in
favor of some method by which I could easily remove the germ from
the wheat at home so that I could eat it fresh and raw.  But that
just doesn't appeal to me.

Carol