RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 09:21:53 -0800
Lucia,

Hi again,

> Yes, this is what I've been eating and was wondering if it was raw or not.
> I'm glad to hear it is, because I've been really enjoying both the tuna
> and salmon. I've seen the mackeral but haven't tried it. will do!

The last time I purchased, they had moist looking salmon and tuna which
were raw.  The mackeral is hot smoked but it is one of the highest fatty
fish I can get and it is very delicious.  They also offer whitefish
(cooked as it is heat smoked).

> > But if you live exclusively on smoked fish there is evidence it will
> > create cancer.  However eating it once in a while or less than all the
> > time is OK.
>
> by 'exclusively' I hope you mean where one's only food source is smoked
> fish... I am eating alot, some everyday these days.

No one has good answers for you.  I would scale back and have it maybe
two or three times per week, and make sure I had a variety of other
fresh foods as well.  I believe some smoked foods is OK but all I know
is that there is documentation that lots of smoked foods eaten
consistently will cause cancer.  As to how much and how frequently no
one has good answers to that.  I went through a period where I had
smoked fish daily for about a month because I really liked it, then
after that my interest in it went away an I haven't had any in many
weeks now.  FWIW all I can say is that I believe eating too much of any
type of processed or cooked foods is probably not great for anyone.

regards

roberta