RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gerry Coffey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 15:19:22 EDT

<< From Jon:
 I just ran into my friend who has been juice "fasting" for 40 days. I
 hadn't seen him since he began, so his appearance has changed quite a bit.
 He does look very THIN but very clear and good. I know he drinks LOTS of
 juice (like several quarts per day). He has also gone in and out of water
 fasting and dry fasting for brief periods during the 40 days. He is also
 "working out" during this fast.

 Is there a point where you drink too much juice, and the body doesn't know
 it's fasting?

--87 year-old Director of Esser's Health Ranch, Dr. William Esser, who plays
tennis regularly with his grandchildren and their friends, oversees patients
at the ranch, and conducts weekly public lectures, recommends no more than 12
oz. of juice 4 times per day when "juice dieting."

>> If I eat one salad everyday for 60 days then I am not
 fasting, right?

--Note: Juice "fasting" is a misnomer, as true "fasting" means to eliminate
consumption of ALL food, and juice is, in fact, liquid food.

>>But I lose tons of weight. Is the body more apt to go into
 starvation mode when it is getting some--but not enough--nourishment than
 when it is on a true fast? Or is there a grey area between fasting and
 severe under-eating?

--According to Joel Fuhrman, M.D., in "Fasting -- And Eating -- For Health,"
With severely restrictive diets, like juice fasts, the body does lose weight,
but the brain and other organs do not subsist mainly on ketones. Therefore,
proportionately to weight lost, juice fasts and severely restrictive diets
cause us to lose more lean body tissue and less fatty tissue than do total
fasts."

 Also, how much exercise is too much, when you don't have resources for
 building?
 --I learned the hard way (during my first extended fast of 20 days) that
exercising while fasting defeats the purpose of fasting, which is to channel
all energies to healing. It also further taxes the body, which is not
receiving outside nutrients, and is like adding insult to injury. Exercising
when malnourished, by consuming empty-calories in the form of refined and
processed foods, fats and sugars, which rob the body of essential vitamins and
minerals, also depletes the body.
.
gc

 I will be seeing him soon. Just wondering what I should say to him about it.

 Jon