From:
Dan Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 11:18:56 -0600
Can someone help me?

I have an Acer P75 that suddenly decided not to boot.  I booted from a
floppy and tried to reinstall Windows 95, but I got a note that since
there was already an operating system on this machine, I would need to
use a Windows 95 Upgrade disk.

I got one, but it had to start from a Windows prompt, which I could not
get.

So (am I crazy here) I installed Windows 3.1, which installed fine, and
then I used the W95 upgrade disk, which also seemed to work fine.

But now, when I boot I get this screen:

000064 Memory GOOD
016000 SMRAM GOOD

BIOS Shadow RAM Enabled
Video Shadow RAM Enabled
On Board Serial Port 1 Conflict
Equipment Configuration Error

Ctl/Alt/Esc for Setup, F1 to Continue:

I went to Setup but could find nothing referring to Serial Port 1.

I rebooted, got the same screen, and hit F1 to continue this time, and
got this message:

Data Error Reading Drive C
Abort/Retry/Ignore

I chose Ignore, got the same message, chose Ignore again, got the same
message, chose Ignore a third time and got this message:

While initializing device PARITY:  Windows protection error.  You need to
restart your computer.

So I did.  This time it offered me SAFE mode, which I chose.  Again it
took me to the Data Error Reading Drive C note, but this time it just
froze no matter how many times I hit the Ignore choice.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,     Dan Hughes, Parkland College, Champaign IL

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com