From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 01:24:12 +0100
>At 07:58 PM 9/9/98 -0700, Brad Loomis wrote:
>>I am installing an OEM IBM DDRS34560W drive. Since it did not come with any
>>manuals, I am not sure of some of the jumper settings.

To add to Bill Cohane's excellent answer:
>>2. Disable Unit Attention
>
>"When this jumper is installed the drive will not generate a Unit Attention
>following a Power On Reset (POR) or SCSI Bus Reset. Any pending Unit
Attention
>conditions will also be cleared at POR or SCSI Bus Reset."
>
>This would be useful if the drive needs a command from the controller to
>spin up. POR means you hit the reset button, or the system spontaneously
>rebooted, or you performed a warm reboot. (The SCSI bus sometimes resets
>after errors, or when switching from real mode to protected mode drivers,
>or (for example) if you refresh Device Manager in Win95 or 98.)

On my Fujitsu M2512A 230MB M/O drive this option is called 'Macintosh mode'

"Because of the differing ways that both Apple Macintosh and PC hosts respond
to the status of the drive, set this switch accordingly. Mac mode ON will
disable the 'UNIT ATTENTION' reporting on power up and media change."

Sorry, I vaguely recall reading somewhere that UA causes something drastic
like some kind of a reset on the Mac SCSI bus, but I couldn't trace the
item archived on my PC.

The Fujitsu info implies you leave the jumper off the IBM drive for PC use.

Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~len/ ICQ:10120933

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**