BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:44:25 -0500
Let me first state off the bat that I am transitioning my email from my RHDC Mac environment (located in the hubbub of the office common area) to the municipally-provided networked PeeCee environment located at my workstation with the organizationally-mandated Microsloth software suite.  You may find that some of my posts over the next period of adaptation have an edge of exasperation, perhaps even anger, to them.  Like this awful way that Outlook quotes a post in its entirety, without any decent way to configure it so I can comment on specific points.  Please bear with me.  Nothing personal  :-)

So, Larry, you don't like modern architecture, eh?  Huh, huh?  What's the matter with you?  I don't have any patience with you close-minded preservationists that just want everything to look the way it has already looked.

Oops, there I go over-reacting.

I started this thread with an observation that design review provides for the lowest common denominator; that it protects us from bad designers.  For bad designers, you just make them make it look like everything else, and you have at least not introduced anything bad into the environment.  Nothing inspired, but nothing bad.  If you want good architecture, hire good architects.  But commissions don't have any control over that.

You can have contemporary architecture that responds to its context without being a slavish imitation of past styles.  But many preservationists seem to prefer compliance architecture over contemporary architecture that is sympathetic to its context.  This is what Christopher is alluding to, 'retro design [that] is widely praised by preservation groups,' and suggests that we are going to freeze our cultural evolution in a time capsule.  To me,  good contemporary design for a new structure that is of its own time indicates vitality in an urban environment.  It takes sophisticated design review to be open to this, and I would prefer compliance architecture to what I believe is generally the result when unsophisticated design review bodies take up the issue of contemporary designs: they often start playing "Mr. Potato Head" moving stuff around to make it really obviously fit in with the context.  Modern design by prima donnas that is out of scale, in your face, etc. is to me abhorrent to the human environment, and I would also take compliance architecture over this anyday.

Here in Raleigh, we have enjoyed sophisticated design review and some good design in recent years, and I'm pretty excited by the results.  We also have had plenty of compliance architecture that has ensured that we haven't trashed the qualities that make our historic districts special places.
Dan Becker,  Executive Director      "Conformists die, but
Raleigh Historic                              heretics live on forever"
Districts Commission                             -- Elbert Hubbard