RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 10:10:13 -0800
>>I've been diagnosed with Hashimoto disease by an alternative doctor
>>who claims to understand the subtle problems of thyroid disorder often
>>gone undiagnosed by other doctors.
>>
>>she's prescribing synthroid 25mcg which she says is a very small amount.
>>
>>does anyone here have experience or knowledge with this condition and this
>>drug?
yes i am taking it at the dosage of 125 mg to 175mg daily for 15
years. I
have autoimmune destruction of both adrenals and thyroid glands. When
you
are diagnosed with insuffisant production of thyroxine, the easy
answer is
to supplement with the synthetique hormone ( synthroid) and you must
start
at low dosage(25 mg) and check out the level and take more (an other
25mg)
till you reach the normal level ( that is not directly measured but
thru the
TSH level which is the hormone secreted by the pitutuary to stimulate
the
thyroid gland into producing thyroxine.) A simple blood test is used
check that level. an other mean of diagnosing hypothyroidy  is to take
the
temperature when you wake up before you move ( a low temperature
indicate
hypothyroidy). the problem of taking the supplement is that your gland
can
stop functionning and that case you become dependant on the hormone.
Thyroxine has the advantage to not be a vital hormone like cortisone (
if
you don't have it you are dead) so it give you plenty of room to
adress the
problem why this gland stopped producing the normal amount. Iodine is
the
ion around wich thyroxine is built. so having a supply of iodine is
essential but it might not be enough for example mercury is suspected
replace the iodine ion and made the molecule inneficient. ( check for
mercury intake thru teeth filling or top of the food chain fishs
consomption)
With every hormone imbalance there is a certain specific mental and
emotionnal attitude involved. The thyroid being situated in the throat
the
site of expression, it can easely being shut down . so an advice yell
at the
universe your frustation or sing it aloud it can do great good , at
least to
oxygenate this aera. ( don't yell at your partner , the fear that will
arise
will make you shut down more by reaction)
Cabbage family are "known" to inhibit thyroid , i am not to sure
myself . I
eat instictively so i listen to that 1st and it is true that i am not
attracted to it that much ,but when i am i love it. It is interesting
that
in the previous years to my diagnosis i ate a huge amount of the
cabbage
family ( daily the only kind of vegetable that i was eating because
all what
we had in the garden). If you eat animal product try to get access to
thyroid glands from abattoirs and eat it will be working as well than
synthroid to help you to function normaly .
it have the advantage of containing more than the simple molecule that
you
are in need of. Disadvantage for the medical establishment is that
they
can't control any dosage. You can buy thyroid extract in health food
store
of bovine origine ( the bummer is that the suppliers doesn't know
where
thoses cows come from so may be full of crap themselves and with
thyroid
problems themselves)
functionning with no thyroxine at all like in my case is possible ( i
tried
it for 2 months) but you get very sluggish ,cold and depressed, all
your
metabolism is slow. So a slight tiredness of your gland like you might
have
can be livable ( lot of people walk with it without knowing it) and
give you
the opportunity to change things in your life that could have
contributed to
the situation. Note that hypothyroidy run in families pointing to a
genetic
root ( my sister and mother have it ).
at your disposition for more question.
jean-claude