RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 14:14:33 -1000
Anju:
>Do you know if they are let out in these fields or are they just given a
>different view every day?  I think cages are cages and depriving an animal
>of its freedom is just disgusting.  Especially in the case of a cage where
>the animal must live without ANY type of stimulation, ever, ughhhhhhhh!
>That is not "living" in any sense of the word.

Probably the cages are moved daily, given fresh pasture, as well as a
grain/supplement. (Try "Pastured Poulty Profits" by Joel Saltin for
one
model.)

FWIW, you would likely be disgusted by the mess left by predators,
some of
which seem to kill simply to kill and do NOT eat what they kill. For
any
poultry farmer to let predators have their way with a poultry
population is
not very wise economically--or very "kind" to their birds. The birds
raised
on the "different view every day" method are clearly superior to
force-fed
poultry, which is pretty much all that is often available in
supermarkets.

As for "stimulation", you are mistaken that there is no stimulation in
caged pasture operation. You may be disgusted all you care to, but I
suspect that you have enclosed yourself in a cage without the
"stimulation"
of random biting insects, cold, moisture, and opted instead for online
stimulation and the oportunity to share your disgust with a worldwide
audience.

Cheers,
Kirt

Secola  /\  Nieft