RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 22:47:57 -0800
-

>Jean-Claude wrote
>>I will recomend any candidate to raw vegan to widen its choice of food big
>>time to have a chance to make such diet sustainable.
>>For example north america have lot of available wild tubers  or roots in
its
>>flora ( like jerusalem artichoke, apios,  salsifis or camas who can be
>>delicious raw and replace potatoes easely, they can be easely cultivated
>>too )
>>
>I am very interested in increasing the variety of wild plants in my diet, I
>already consume large quantities of lambs quarters,  dandelion, wild onion
>(chives) and Jerusalem artichokes.  I live in north-eastern Pennsylvania
>and wondering about the safeness of eating day lilies, ferns or cattails, I
>have heard all are eatable but was interested in eating them raw.

I never tried yet bracken fern, they don't attract me that much, but here we
have a small fern that grow on rotten wood that taste like licorice (the
roots of licorice fern),a few species of lilies are edible raw but some
might be toxic, and  raw ,cattail is one of those foods so precious for
their starchy rhyzoms and heart( very filling like mallows ).
glad to see your interest in raw wild plants, lets exchange our experiences
jean-claude