RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 15:10:54 -0500
An FAQ! What a great idea, Lynton! Really simple, and would solve a lot of
problems. Dern, why didn't I thunk of it?

> I propose that the welcome message includes words to the effect that the
> list basically supports a balanced diet and thus excludes extremes such as
> fruitarianism, breatharianism, etc.

I don't think the list should support anything, really, not even a
"balanced diet."  'Cause who's to say precisely WHAT a balanced diet IS?
And anyway,
who knows? Maybe a really, really, extremely UNbalanced diet is better for
some people.
(This year. Last year maybe they needed a "balanced" diet).

In any case, I don't think the list is about either supporting or not
supporting
diets. I think that it is a _forum_,  for rational _discussion_ about
diets, as well as raw foods, food in general, eating, and related topics.
This is not a list which
promotes anything, I had been thinking, unless it's maybe the commitment to
try to
think rationally about eating and health.

> That 100% raw is probably a bit extreme in the experience of many on the list.

Again, I wouldn't want that message to appear anywhere formally. A newcomer
can find individual experiences about failures or successes in the
archives, if they're interested. But I for one wouldn't want to go down as
being _against_ 100% raw. 'Cause who knows? It could, conceivably, work,
for someone somewhere sometime. I do in fact know people who ARE 100% raw,
and it seems to work well for them. Furthermore, lists like this are
amorphous, so that the "many" you refer to, who might see 100% raw as
extreme, may be off the list in six months. And in six months the _new_
"many" may NOT see this as an extreme diet.

> Something about the pros and cons of eating raw.

THAT would be helpful, in my opinion. I'm thinking that lots of what might
be useful to appear on this FAQ might be found at www.beyondveg.com
(with appropriate credits to the authors).

> That extreme views could be offered from time to time, and to take these in
> comparison with a more moderate viewpoint.

I don't understand what you mean here.

Anyway, great idea, Lynton. Thanks for thinking of it. :)

Love Liza

--
[log in to unmask] (Liza May)