From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:05:09 -0800
On 15 Jan 99, at 15:35, Ira Wallin wrote:

> I have heard I shouldn't buy a PC that uses integrated audio or
> video. Why...or doesn't it matter?

  Video is probably the most popular piece of the system to be
upgraded.
So odds are that you'll stop using any integrated video long before the
premium you paid for it has been amortized -- and you can't take it out
and sell it, or put it in a machine for the kids.
  Modem upgrades, especially to higher speeds, are probably number 2.
The
  level of sound that gets integrated onto motherboards tends to be
near the bottom of the pack.  Users who care about sound quality will
likely want to upgrade -- and the rest may not use sound at all.

  The general principles are:

(a) don't pay for stuff you won't use and can't remove, and

(b) generally, stick to standard single-function components to simplify
future upgrades.

  Integrating functions onto the motherboard moves us down the slope
toward PCs which cannot be upgraded at all, but must be replaced as
needs
grow.

David G

                   messages? Visit our staff web site: