From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 15:24:04 -0500
At 12:09 AM 1/9/1999 Isaac Martinez wrote:

>I was just curious if anyone could tell me if used parts are a safe option
>when upgrading a computer.  Which parts should I not buy used and which are
>usually okay to buy?

Isaac:

As a rule of thumb, I would not recommend
buying used computer parts. There are plenty
of discontinued and remaindered "new" parts
that I would prefer, in a price-sensitive
situation.

It is almost axiomatic that when you are buying
used equipment, the unused-but-dated components
don't cost that much more. The value of computer
components is perishable and there are places to
purchase surplus "new" parts, for only a few
dollars more than used parts.

An exception would be RMA'ed and refurbished
components that carry some kind of warranty.
These are at the beginning of their product
cycles and might be considered in less critical
situations, as for playing games. I would never
trust valuable data on any used part, by choice.

There are older, proprietary computers which may
require original manufacturer's parts and sometimes
the only available replacements are used ones.
That's an endgame I would avoid. Better to migrate
to an industry standard platform before incident.

Even if the merchandise was known-working,
improper handling of components may have
damaged the goods. Not many people practice
acceptable anti-ESD protocol, not even people
in the channel (it is more cost effective to
replace damaged parts than establishing and
maintaining an ESD-free workplace). If the
seller doesn't give you a comfort level with
his ESD management (static bags, grounding mats,
etc.), pass on the sale. Your time (spent
installing the part and troubleshooting it)
is worth far more than the dollar savings.

JMHO

Regards,

John Chin

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html