From:
Ashok Bhiman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 08:45:28 +0530
Dear Fabio Di Tomasso

The following issues are involved.
1. Is your CD-ROM connected to an IDE on the motherboard (or an IDE card) or
to a connector on the sound card.
2. If it is connected directly to an IDE port, Win95 will automatically
detect it.
3. If not, you will have to go to control panel> add hardware> CD-ROM drive
>etc..and select your model from the list
4. If your model is not listed, you will have to go to the site on the web
of the manufacturer and download the latest Win95 driver for the same and
install as above using the 'Have Disk' option.
5. If your CD-ROM is connected through the sound card, try connecting it
directly to the IDE (either primary or secondary depending on where your HDD
is already connected) and try following the above procedure.
6. If this direct connection fails to make your CD-ROM even work, then there
is no alternative. You are stuck to use your CD-ROM only with a DOS driver
with reduced performance since your drive has a proprietary connection and
cannot be used directly.

I hope your problem gets solved. Do let me know at it will update my
knowledge too.

Regards,

(Dr. Ashok Bhiman)
                       M.D.
email: [log in to unmask]

>Thank you for your help, I tried to run an antivirus, as you advice, but no
virus
>were found. Beside I made a try: I remarked (put a REM) all the lines in
Config.sys
>and Autoexec.bat loding DOS drivers. (The only DOS drivers that are loaded
are the
>ones for the CD-ROM drive) Then, when I rebooted, the CD-ROM drive were
gone from
>the Explorer, so I get the CD-ROM drive working only when the DOS drivers
for it
>are loaded. Can somebody give some advices to solve this problem?
>Thank you.
>Fabio Di Tomasso
>
>         The PCBUILD web site always needs good submissions.  If
>          you would like to contribute to the website, send any
>               hardware tech tips or hardware reviews to:

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html