NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 11:49:10 -0500
>Does anyone have a child who out grew a milk allergy? I keep hearing she =
>may out grow it but I don't know wether to believe it or not.

It happens often enough that many doctors hold it up to offer hope. But
it's a poor placation when there may be many years between now and the time
it happens, if it happens at all. If your child is highly atopic and comes
from a background that is heavy in atopic disorders (allergies, asthma,
eczema, hives, anaphylaxis, some forms of arthritis, ...), then the chances
of outgrowing are small.

I had minor dairy allergy symptoms in my childhood. It blossomed in my late
teens to a full-blown allergy. My son was born with it and we are told that
he is unlikely to outgrow his. He's now 11-1/2 and is still anaphylactic to
eggs, milk, and nuts.

It best to "cope and hope" - cope with it now by learning as much as you
can and finding as many dairy-free fun foods as you can. And hope that if
she doesn't outgrow it, she'll still be a great kid who has many enjoyable
things to eat.

Mark

Mark Feblowitz