BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Heidi Harendza <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 10:59:47 EST
In a message dated 99-02-17 01:38:14 EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> We are looking for detailed information about gas carbide generators,
> devices
>  that were used in the late 19th/20th C to provide rural houses with gas for
>  lighting.  How did they work, who manufactured them, how were they
obtained.
>  Were they labor saving devices or commodity saving devices.  Any info would
> be
>  useful.

Candy-

I accidentally deleted the other responses to this query, so I hope this info
isn't a repeat. A couple of years ago I took a class on the mechanical systems
of historic buildings at the Univ. of PA, and we learned a bit about these gas
houses. I don't have my bibliography to hand, but I seem to remember there was
some information in the book _Mechanization Takes Command_. I'll try and
remember to check my references when I get home.

I also remember that Rockwood, a historic house museum in Delaware, still has
a gas house on the property, and I am pretty sure the curators there could
give you further info. You can contact them at Rockwood Museum, 610 Shipley
Rd., Wilmington, DE 19809. (302) 761-4340. It is a great house museum-- well
worth a visit if you get the chance. My professor, Dr. Roger Moss, might also
be able to provide further information and sources. He can be contacted at the
Athenaeum of Philadelphia (215) 925-2688.

-Heidi