BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 17:11:27 EST
In a message dated 11/29/98 10:35:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Historic Preservation benefits substantially from the multi-disciplinary
>  nature of its character and the wide range of individuals and skills that
>  all work together to make a successful project.  I hope that that tone of
>  this conversation does not mean that we in the field are interested in
>  further "balkanizing" and requiring registration or license in an attempt
>  turn everyone into a generalist.

I agree with this statement.

What I was trying to express in my peevish comments are directed toward the
fact that the trades so often have the tactile knowledge to apply to
preservation, as craftsmen, but they do not always have the verbal skills to
argue with inexperienced, or inappropriatly assigned design professionals.
Therefore absurd things occur. My argument is in favor of the educated to
assist the trades in gaining verbal skills so that there will be a greater
balance of argument between the practical and the theoretical on the
preservation project. As it is, I am keenly sensitive to literate and verbose
individuals saying things that tradesmen take as put downs. I don't think it
is done consciously, but it is done consistently.

][<en Follett