BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - His DNA is this long.
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 19:03:13 EDT
In a message dated 98-07-13 16:55:48 EDT, Dan Becker writes:

>  But healthy
>  dialogue and disagreement within certainly may sharpen our focus and
>  ultimately enable us to do a better job of preservation.  Remember,
>  creative solutions come from the challenge of problem solving
opportunities.

Well said, Dan.

When asked to round up speakers for a statewide preservation conference, a
couple of years ago, I suggested having a panel on the re-do of Independence
Mall in Philadelphia. I was told that the subject was too frought with
controversy.  "All the better," I thought!  But folks rolled their eyes and
said -- "Oh, no -- we don't want to touch that one.  It's much too hot!"

Unfortunately, we never did explore the "controversy" at Independence Mall. A
sacred few in the profession who are personally connected to the project might
know of the different (and apparently competing) viewpoints but the public --
me included -- hasn't a clue what they were or the reasoning behind them. As a
result, our understanding of the work done there is superficial at best. We
could use a few opportunities to have opposing viewpoints "duke it out" in an
open forum. I think it would help our own understanding and appreciation of
the various approaches in preservation. Maybe it would even bring the public
along.

Mary Krugman