BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - His DNA is this long.
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 09:46:33 EDT
In a message dated 98-07-07 23:40:43 EDT, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< I say this as they are very concerned for the well being of their community

Possibly one problem is that in an urban environment there are so many
overlapping communities that it is too easy for a church to assume that the
contractor is not from their community?

Possibly my problem is that I was exposed too early to the hypocrisy of
churches so that I expect it as the norm, and find honor to be the remarkable
exception.

I very much enjoy my relationships with a variety of sacred sites who have
been honorable in their business dealings. I carry this to the point of
attending their services when possible, reading up on their beliefs and
practices, and doing my best not to insult them. Despite any BS on my part
that may lead one to conclude the contrary, I have a strong sense of ethics
based on too much religious training, having been mentored by a Grandfather
minister who was very much taken with Jesus. So, for me, the hypocrisy may hit
a bit too personal. What I cannot say is that I find all business encounters
with religious institutions to be honorable. I don't want to harp on churches,
but I think inline with the topic of "prequalification of customers" that it
is important that it be recognized that doing business with churches has the
same pitfalls, and benefits, as with any other institution.

Currently we have a collection agency chasing after one church for not give us
a substantial final payment. During the project they revealed that they not
only did not have the money to pay us, but had never had it when they gave us
the work to begin with. This was revealed after we had completed a major
proportion of the work.

Several years back there was a minister who demanded kick-backs.

The one time we really did offer a significant discount to a church, the one
that was directly across the street from our shop, not only did we get burnt
badly by them, but they seriously eroded the faith at Apple... which I
continue to think was a greater problem than their owing money. This put a
damper on our tendency to contribute.

][<en