RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Wes Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 20:01:51 -0500
Ellie,

>I've noticed that this also almost invariably means a
>LOWER sugar content and a HIGHER fiber content among the most modern of
>varieties (~50 years), especially when they are still somewhat unripe (as
>most are, having been artificially "ripened" with ethylene gas and other
>"ripening agents" in transit or during storage). Certainly not all plant
>species that produce edible fruit produce fruit that is "shippable", and
>for that reason most never make it to the display stands at grocery stores
>where most of us get our fruit.

Interesting. For what it's worth, I'd like to point out to anyone interested
that apples contain as much fiber as the high-fiber vegetable broccoli --
5.5oz of apples/broccoli both contain 5 grams of fiber per serving. Oranges
contain even more -- 6 grams per 5.5oz. Apples contain only 80 calories per
those 5.5oz, oranges 50 calories per 5.5oz, and broccoli 40 calories per
same volume. Overall, this sounds pretty reasonable to me; and when
researching the effects of most fruits on blood sugar stability, they have a
very reasonable, stable effect.

Wes