RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 09:02:43 -0800
>>Alan: (Part 1)
>>are the strongest creatures with the heaviest bones on this earth
>>(elephants, buffalo, gorillas) strict vegetarians?

>Alan: (Part 2)
>I never ever said that they are strict vegetarians. Even buffaloes

Tom:
Compare last line of part 1, with part 2, above.

Alan:
>As I have not yet heard them yet..what are your arguments for the
>NECESSITY of also consuming meat?

Tom:
A strange question to ask me, as I am a long-time vegetarian, and was
a vegan for several years.

My position is that some folks indeed can do quite well on a vegetarian,
or even a (cooked) vegan diet. [100% raw vegan has a high failure rate,
as mentioned in previous posts.]

The real challenge comes when a person does not thrive on a vegan diet.
This may be far more common than expected, as there are probably more
ex-vegans around than vegans. [Certainly there are more ex-rawists
around than current rawists; this is anecdotal but also confirmed
by others.]

It is my view that the above phenomenon - what to do for people who don't
thrive on a vegan/vegetarian diet - is the greatest issue that the veg
movement is NOT facing. Obviously, if vegan does not work, one can try
dairy and/or eggs. But some object to eggs, and lactose intolerance is
a major problem with dairy. Should these folks eat insects? Fish?
Should they place veggie dogma ahead of their own health?

The above question cuts to the core of the veggie movement, as it places
human welfare in direct conflict with the "compassion" some veggies
talk about. Perhaps that is why the question is ignored, or rationalized
away by so many raw/veg "diet gurus"?

Tom Billings