RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 14:21:58 +0000
From:
Stefan Joest <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Peter and all other RAF eaters,

this is an instincto RAF recipe first published in "Imag" (Instinctoma-
gazine, German edition). I tried it some days ago for the first time.

"Wienerwald" refers to the chain of restaurants in Austria and Germany
that mainly sells fried chicken. Now here's the recipe:

1. Buy a big mackerel of best quality (atlantic ocean if possible).
   It should be a big one because they have more fat than the small
   ones.

2. Put it into a firmly closed plastic bag and then into the refrige-
   rator at 2..5 C. Let it age 6..9 days. It must be so aged that the
   smell becomes very strong, might be even awful.

3. Get it out of the refrigerator and remove the organs. Keep only
   the liver and the fillet. Be careful when removing the organs since
   the gall bladder is likely to be hurt and will make your fillet
   bitter then. It might be a good idea to clean the fillet with
   cold water. Also in my experience it might be good to remove the
   black/dark brown grease that sticks to the spin of the mackerel.
   It also tastes bitter.

4. Now put the liver and the fillet into your dryer and adjust it to
   32..35 C. Be careful not to overdo it, so don't go over 40 C
   (105F)! It is important that the dryer has a permanently operating
   fan to get rid of the humidity. Also the dryer should be shielded
   by a net to prevent flies laying their eggs on your fish.

5. Dry 7..15 hours. App. 8 hours might be best but you can experiment
   with time and temperature. You are likely to watch, that the fatty
   parts of the belly are becoming golden like a fried chicken and the
   whole fillet has gotten a thin crust.

7. Make sure that you have drunk enough water before you eat the still
   warm mackerel. It can taste like a fried chicken. It is uncredibly
   fatty and because of the relative short drying time is still juicy.

I experienced a weak reminiscence of fried chicken not worth to speak
of, but the taste itself was wonderful. Rich, fatty, and then the
crunchy crust - fish heaven I believe.

Warning:

This recipe can give you a very strong detox reaction, especially if
you were a heavy milk/dairy user in cooked times. Have your Cassia
ready!

Personally I didn't experience anything bad but some weeks ago I had
an awful detox with raw, very aged (a week) mackerel which wasn't dried
like in this recipe.

I will soon try out if aging at room temperature is controllable and
yields the same results. I think it will - it will just happen much
quicker than in the fridge - one or two days perhaps.

Good luck and I wish you a strong instinctive chicken taste,

Stefan