RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wes Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 14:34:24 -0400
Hi!

I only have time for one message right now, but I'll get to the rest of the
replies later!

I had mentioned:

Kelli said:
>I'd _really_ like to know how you manage this on a 100% raw diet! I went 100%
>raw vegan for about 3 months (had been about 75% prior), and I literally ate
>_all day_ long. Had fruit for breakfast and quite a large spinach/romaine
>salad with all kinds of good stuff in it (beets C yams, squashes, tomatoes,
>etc) and then a more "creative" raw dish for dinner based on things like
>sprouted lentils, corn, asparagus, cabbage, etc.-- not necessarily together
>;0)

OK, here's a typical day's fare for me. I basically eat 4 meals. Although,
the smoothie isn't considered a meal, but it alone is very caloric. I will
only mention one type of fruit or nut used, instead of being specific, so
as to simplify this.

Here goes:

1) Breakfast: a couple of apples, 2-4 oz. brazil nuts, 2-4 oz. dates,
2-3 bananas, a stalk of celery. (eaten in that order, one at a time)

2) Smoothie: (note: this is used any time, not necessarily between breakfast
and lunch) - typically 4 eggs and 2 bananas, with some pure water, blended.
I have this at least 2 hours after the previous meal, and well in advance of
the next one.

3) Lunch A (note: this may be eaten as supper and vice versa) -
about 3 oz. walnuts, a bit over a tablespoon of flax oil, a pile of raw
veggies (lots of leafy greens such as romaine lettuce, spinach, cabbage
[which I love!], usually a half a cuke, some bell pepper, etc.)

4) Supper: sunflower seeds (2-3 oz.), a whole sweet potato or yam, a beet,
carrot(s), corn on cob, leafy greens.

And of course, the foods are variated. For example, with breakfast, I may
eat pears instead of apples, hazelnuts instead of brazil nuts, dried figs or
raisins instead of dates (of which I use many varieties); and of course I
choose from a wide range of veggies, so that variates; and with the
concentrated starch meal, I may not eat each food listed, although that's
basically what I do anyway. I will probably also start using soaked grains,
such as quinoa, and also use something like sproute
d "bread" wafers & the
like. I may also consider using some raw dairy as well. Also, a note
regarding the nuts & seeds I eat: I do *not* soak them. So the ounce listings
above, are for dry weight. I do use supplemental enzymes with my food, so
that is probably the main reason that the enzyme inhibitors present in the
raw unsoaked nuts do not affect me, and I have been using the unsoaked
nuts/seeds for many months and without any untoward effect(s).

Estimated total caloric values of each meal (corresponding with each number
listed above, and averaged out - i.e. say with nuts, using an average value
of 3 oz., as I mentioned it could be 2-4 oz.):

1) 1,000
2) 500
3) 750
4) 750

Estimated total: 3,000 calories.

These estimates are actually conservative. In reality, with breakfast for
example, the caloric value may be more along the lines of 1,200.