Date:
Sun, 9 Aug 1998 10:01:03 -0400
Todd Moody wrote:
> Frankly, I have no idea what the solution to this problem is, or
> whether it is really a problem.
This brings up the point I was wondering about for quite some time.
We know that there is a statistical correlation between cholesterol
and cardiovascular health. However, overwhelming majority of people
with elevated cholesterol nowadays get it from overeating carbs. Is
it possible that the risk factors are really carbs and not high
cholesterol (LDL or otherwise)? In other words, is it possible that
high LDL from overeating carbs is indeed a risk factor, while high
cholesterol from overeating saturated fats is not? I always understood
the primary function of cholesterol to be fat transport (I know there
are many others). If you eat/burn more fat you would need more
cholesterol to shuttle it about. Would not necessarily indicate a
risk factor. Any studies have looked at the cause of high LDL vs.
just the level?

Thanks
Ilya