BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bruce Marcham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 10:55:34 -0500
We're seeing these battle lines drawn here in Syracuse, NY as the chains
move in toward the city and try to bring the suburban mind-set with them.
They want to take an old store-front and plug a fast-food restaurant into it
but need to tear down a couple of storefronts next door to accomodate the
parking they need.  Or a drug store chain buys up a small mom-and-pop drug
store in a residential neighborhood and then wants to tear down some
adjancent houses to expand the parking lot to make the store viable in their
terms.  The neighbors are rightfully concerned that the seed will be planted
to send the neighborhood in a new direction.