BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 10:18:55 -0500
"Neanthus stole Orpheus' harp and ran away with it"

Orpheus, was the son of Appollo (as we all know), but to wrap this back to
the bearded lady it was Hermes who invented the Lyre and gave it as a gift
to Appollo to appease the chariot lord for previous indescretions.

"I'm interested in exploring the line that divides, where it
>seems it all becomes invisible."

Me too:
Seamless beauty.  Kant had one of the best arguments/definitions.  (][<en,
if you haven't read Analytic of the Beautiful and On the Form and Principle
of the Sensible and Intelligible World they should get your mo-jo flowing).
Wittgenstein, unfortunately for me, took the ideas and screwed them up
enough that I'm not sure I know what Kant said anymore, however what I
remember was, after logical synthesis, Kant's theory of "understanding" or
"cognitive pleasure" follows a twelve step argument.  At the end of these
steps the human brain grasps the concept or idea.  Kant's definition of
beauty is the same argument without the twelfth step being realized:  a sort
of infinite state of mind between attainment of enough stuff to have a good,
logical system, however, by not possessing the final increment it is not a
thing that is quantifiable and compartmentalized. A sort of cluster-**ck of
the mind.  A pleasurable exercise of the brain.  Here's a favorite quote:
"Although the epistemological cocktail might taste at first sip quite
different from the metaphysical gin, a lot of gin has gone into it all the
same."  Walter Cerf

Best,
Leland