BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Norm/Ilene Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 20:11:44 -0500
Chris, are you interested in recycled "ripple"glass?

We are removing what is actually a protective glazing and
restoring/releading the stained glass windows.  We think the ripple
glass, which was installed in 1901, was intended as a temporary layer
until the stained glass windows could be installed 10 years later.
However, the ripple glass was left in the openings, a stop added, and
the stained glass installed to the inside.

There has been deterioration between the layers because of condensation,
and it is best eliminated, if it can't be vented.  Much of it has been
over the years, anyway, but usually with some plexiglass or Lexan.  Our
theory is that if the double layer is eliminated, the stained glass
releaded and restored, and the wood consolidated, then the glazed
opening will be weathertight.  It's just that the ripple glass is
interesting, with its undulating pattern, and has some historic value in
its own right.

On another note, we are considering appropriate language to strengthen
the recycling aspect of selective demolition.  Typically, the option is
to list items to be salvaged, but with no further direction to recycle.
Any thoughts from others on how this has been incorporated into
projects?

Ilene