BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Candice Brashears <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:01:20 EST
Michael,
Forget the dealers.  Write your name & info in pencil so it is removeable if
you are concerned about the value, or devise a removable insert.  The dealers
may decide to write THEIR name in and become famous instead of you.
In speaking of dealers and the perceived "value" of a rare book, what are
anyone's thoughts about the old, decrepit book that you constantly pull off
the shelf to review? If used more, it will fall apart - if rebound or repaired
- the "value" is lost.
My feelings: if I bought the rare book for its contents and to use (knowing I
cannot get a reprint) I want the pages preserved for future research by myself
or others; therefore, rebinding or repair is in order. If I bought the book
for its rarity and possible dollar vs scholarly value - I'd store it in an
acidfree archival box or paper, never touch it until I'm ready to sell.  I
think one chooses which "value" a rare book is: scholarly or dollar.  If
perchance the volume is both - I'd suggest an archival box and white gloves.
What is your "value"?
Candy