BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 16:46:23 EDT
In a message dated 10/18/98 6:54:32 AM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

<<Historic gravel roads>>

The road's integrity as an historic artifact exists only in that it occuppies
a similar spot on the map and contributes to buildings and landscapes that
similarly occupy similar spots on the map...and some historic material.  (And
this is a 20th century site Mr. Follet, I am not entirely in another century!)
I have some obligation to provide a gravel road on that spot on the map.  Of
course, it must meet code and be accessible as well.

In the long run I have a more significant problem with walking path materials
and assemblies.  The maintenance requirements of various gravels is a problem
there already seems to be far too much treated wood in the world, asphalt and
concrete (even if I knew how to use that high tech 20th century stuff) is
generally out of place, as well as historically inaccurate.  Trouble with 19th
century systems is that maintenance labor and materials were cheap.

If one were to be interned for historic preservation, what crime would one
choose to commit?  Where would one be interned?  Would there be an exclusive
cell block for preservationeers?  Would they receive therapy?  Can it be
cured?  Would they let the preservationeers out if they were
rehabilitated...or is the recitiavism rate too high?  I hope they have
beer....and hammers...hammmers would be good.