BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - His DNA is this long.
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 17:12:07 EDT
In a message dated 98-07-01 19:37:13 EDT, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Or demanded that grey areas be clarified before a bid is given? (I've
 already heard stories of backing away from (deliberately?) vague
 scopes of work.) >>

Kevin,

If a contractor has a good working relationship with the design professional
then they can venture clarifications of gray areas. What I find though is that
in reality
most times asking for clarification is taken as an insult to the ego of the
designer.

One way for gray areas to be dealt with is for design professionals to give
the builders a bit more respect for the value of their experience.

A problem here is that the architect calls in a friendly contractor for advice
but cannot afford to pay them, so they try to entice them by suggesting they
will get a special mention at time of bid. Then, after the contractor pours
their heart out with lots of good advice (flattered to have been asked and
anticipating the BIG job), the project goes to open bid and the work is
awarded to the low bidder. I've heard this story over and over and I think it
is one of the main greivances contractors have regarding working with design
professionals. It is one reason I have compiled a list of design professionals
whom I will NOT talk to (Kevin: call me and I will talk to you).

I think this problem presents a niche market for someone to give construction
advice without the anticipation, myth, or lie that they will get any further
work... and that they be paid for their services just as with any professional
consultant.

Sometimes I have encountered vague specifications that I have deliberately bid
on because I had a very clear feeling about the project team and felt
confident that we would be able to realize a profit. These are very difficult
projects to manage as everyone on the project keeps interpreting the
specifications in their own manner. Tight specifications stop people from
getting lost in the head on a project, particularly if it is extended over a
lengthy duration.

][<en