RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 16:04:40 +0100
Rex:
> Here's a few simple questions from a hill-billy dirt-farmer: did all this
> "absorbed" calcium go toward bone-building or instead to make kidney
> stones? [Other questions deleted]

Alan said that he had never seen any study on humans showing that
oxalic acid inhibits calcium intake; I just proved the
contrary. Whether you believe that scientific studies have any value
or not is another issue.

BTW, kidney stones are made of calcium oxalate, if my memory serves me
right.

> Was this yet another of those sell-more-milk (or whatever) studies?

Even if the "milk industry" did fund the research by Heaney et al.,
Craighton University, I have no reason to believe that these
researchers distorted the results.

One of the studies I quoted did NOT refer to milk (Weaver et al.,
Purdue University), so it would be a "sell-less-spinach" study.

> Am I the only one who understands that when quality comes into the
> picture the baloney will rapidly evaporate.

I don't see the connection with quality, unless you can prove that
high-quality vegetables contain less oxalic acid. It is very easy to
make wild claims about quality. I could as well say "calcium from high
quality milk is better absorbed than calcium from ordinary milk", and
dismiss every scientific argument I don't like.

--Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>