From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:18:52 -0700
Lady Ariel wrote:

> How long
> did it take all of you to get used to paleolithic living?

I got NeanderThin and read it twice (fast read).  Then it took me about
three weeks to get my mind wrapped around it.  During this time I was
gradually easing off on the non-paleo such as potatoes and grains.  At the
new moon in January (it's  upposed to be easier to start a program at the
new moon), I went totally Paleo.

To get off a significant chocolate addiction, I fixed up what I call Carob
Goodie:
1 cup toasted unsweetened carob, 1.5 cups pecan meal, 1/2 cup or less
coconut oil.  Mix well together.  It's a little soft for fudge, but has a
similar bittersweetrich experience as chocolate.  I went through several
batches in the first few weeks, but now I don't feel the need.

I noticed at once that I felt a lot better after a meal than I had before
going Paleo (no heavy, blodgy feeling).  I also had a lot more energy, and
less brain fog.    I had not been a heavy grain eater before, since I have
been celiac (gluten intolerant) for about six years.  And I never drank
soda, since I've been hypoglycemic for 30 years.  But this feels really
different.

I'm fortunate enough to have a source of wonderful organic meat.  I also try
to use organic fruits and veggies as much as possible.  You need to be
willing to do a certain amount of food preparation: for example your own
salad dressings.  Breakfast is the hardest meal for me to figure out;
lunches and suppers make sense.

I've been through about every kind of eating in the search for health: fad
diets of all kinds, vegetarian, macrobiotic (couldn't manage it for more
than a few weeks),
The Zone (2 months), low-fat vegetarian (worst for me: celiac started then).

I am cautiously optimistic that this will be right for me.  It takes a
little courage to go against the shouts of the food establishment and chop
the bottom story off the
Food Pyramid.  But it makes sense, and it feels good.  So Do It!

Good luck
 Lynnet