From:
Elsie Steinwachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 08:46:48 -0800
>>On the contrary, I think calling modern farmed animals "very" different
>>from their paleo counterparts is an understatement.

>Would you follow this by saying that obese humans are "very" diffent than
>non-obese humans?... The farmed animals have been
>selectively bread for certain characteristics e.g. docile, alot of meat,
>disease resistant, etc This does not mean they are unrecognizable or have a
>physiology much different than their not to distant ancestors.

I think that comparing the number of generations of farm animals to the
number of generations of humans during the same period shows that nowhere
near the same amount of genetic drift could occur among humans as among the
short-lived animals.

Also, since beginning to keep animals, humans have deliberately changed
those animals drastically, if you have looked at the older breeds (even
only 100 to 150 years ago) in comparison with the newer breeds.  And sheep
aren't even able to live on their own any more, under any circumstances.
The survival characteristics have been bred out of them in favor of their
wool and meat properties.  On the other hand, the human population as a
whole is still a generalized animal, capable of adapting to many
environmental conditions.

  Dogs come
>in all different shapes and sizes but still are "recognizably" wolves.

Have you seen a Pekingese?  What about nearly-universal hip dysplasia in
the larger breeds -- it's a result of breeding for appearance, not for
health or survival characteristics.  Can we guess what else changed in them
while these characteristics were changing?

>>I don't believe it's possible to eat a paleo diet unless you consume game
>>animals. This is rather easy here in Australia, as kangaroo meat is readily
>>available. In the U.S. I imagine game meat is available, but harder to find.
>>I wonder if it is available at all in Europe?

Australia, Tinian (Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas), New Zealand, and
Argentina all export vast quantities of grass-fed beef to SOMEWHERE.  I
understand McDonald's gets theirs from Brazil or elsewhere in South
America.  So it is available, even if we personally have not tracked it down.

Just throwing in my two cents worth.

Patty visiting [log in to unmask]