From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 20:47:30 -0400
On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Michael Audette wrote:

>> I would in addition propose that some parts were simply left in the
>> gut, where the intestinal flora will "take care" of it.
>> But not the friendly ones.
>>
>> Amadeus
>    Pure myth.
>   Mike

I don't think so, Mike.  The incompletely digested proteins are
called "polyamines."  They include substances with such charming
names as cadaverine and putrescine.  They are found in the gut.
What I don't know, however, is whether a paleo diet significantly
reduces their time of residence there.  There is a theory that
the polyamines are the cause of the link between red meat and
colon cancer, but it is also possible that the real problem is
that they stay in the gut too long as a result of digestive
slowdown caused by other things (like maybe dairy, for instance).

Incidentally, cadaverine in the saliva is believed to be one of
the causes of bad breath.

Todd Moody