NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 16:47:37 EST
In a message dated 12/3/99 10:04:59 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<  one reader suggests using Jello
 "cookable" vanilla pudding mix with soy milk to substitute
 in recipes for evaporated or condensed milk.  >>

Doesn't the pudding mix contain some milk? It's been a long time since I
checked, but I thought it had some dry milk in it.

Has anyone tried sweetening soymilk and just cooking it down (reducing it)
until it is as thick as  condensed milk, maybe 1/4 of the volume? I'd
recommend using a flame tamer/simmer ring/heat diffuser device under the pan
to prevent scorching. I've made soymilk from scratch and you can vary the
thickness of it quite a bit. I don't see why it wouldn't reduce or condense
like regular milk. Carrie