NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kimberly Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 14:00:22 EST
I agree with whomever said that when people try and convince others of their
views with much emotion and lack of scientific proof, others are not apt to
listen take it seriously.  Personally, while I do feel very strongly about
this issue, I realize that it is important to keep my own personal feeling
separate.

I do want to explain why this can be such an emotional issue, at least for me.
I am upset because I was brainwashed from day one to believe dairy products
are essential to life and health.   It should be more publicized that dairy
products can cause a host of problems.  The diabetes link should be well
known, as should all of the other diseases it has been scientifically linked
to.  It should be publicized that dairy products are not essential.  Then
people could make an educated decision on whether or not to eat them. And it
should not be in almost everything!  I should be able to buy food and know
that it is non-dairy unless it is cheese or milk or butter or ice cream. There
should be a label on foods that DO have dairy in them, not vice versa. If
dairy products were man made, the FDA would not allow them to be sold because
the percentage of people that cannot tolerate them is so high (more than 50%
of the world's population is lactose intolerant - I think it is more like
95%).  It's just not fair!!!

Okay, I got that out of my system.  What if Robert Cohen's claims are true?
These studies need to be done ASAP, and they need to be presented in a
professional, scientific manner.  But where is the funding for such
independent research?

I'm sorry to be so long winded.  I guess I needed a safe place to express
myself; my family and friends certainly don't want to hear it!  Thanks for
listening.

Kim Sherwood