NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellen Weiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 12:46:42 -0700
In order to avoid further confusion, I'd like to clarify a few points in
Explorer's statement about Rice Dream.

RICE DREAM BEVERAGE is made primarily from rice, it does not contain
whole wheat or barley ingredients.  However, our patented enzymatic
process uses enzymes, which are derived from various grains including
barley, to convert the complex carbohydrates in brown rice to naturally
occurring sugars.  The actual grains used to grow the enzymes are
discarded after the enzymes are extracted.

The barley protein in the final RICE DREAM BEVERAGE product, if present
at all, would occur in parts per million amounts (less than 5 mg barley
protein  per 8 oz serving). In addition, the enzymes are essentially
used up in the process, (broken down to peptides and amino acids).  It
is therefore possible, that gluten may exist in minute amounts in the
final product.

We are not required by the FDA to list  the enzymes, how they are
developed, or how they are used in the processing of our products.
However, we certainly do not wish to mislead or endanger our gluten
sensitive customers.  In response to consumer requests, beginning in the
Fall of 1998, the Rice Dream Beverage container will be labeled to
indicate the presence of trace amounts of gluten.

We understand that there is no established "safe" level of gluten for
Celiac patients.  We hope knowing the amount of gluten which may be
present in RICE DREAM will allow people, in conjunction with their
health care providers, to make informed decisions about whether RICE
DREAM beverages are appropriate for their diets.

We apologize for any confusion regarding this subject.  Please contact me
directly if I can be of further help.

Ellen Weiser
Imagine Foods, Inc.
Ph: 800-333-6339  (ext. 36)