NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Barbara Pollack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 00:08:05 -0400
>Maybe you can send your kids to a camp where then serve solely kosher foods.
>Many camps in the Northeast are strictly Kosher.

I suspect this would be a win-some, lose-some situation.  The camp would
understand exactly what to do--but then it would have a much more difficult
time doing it.

A non-kosher camp would have no problem serving meat at the same time as
dairy.   However, a kosher establishment could not serve meat on the same
table as dairy (at least not without some kind of separation) and would
have to open the meat kitchen just to heat it up.  Any deviation could cost
them their certification.

Because some people who keep kosher wait six hours after eating meat before
they can eat dairy, kosher breakfasts are always dairy and lunches usually
are.  So you would gain peace of mind for only one meal a day.

Barbara