BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 18:02:36 -0500
oh yes... my first introduction to wandering was an indoor sand pit.  Our
home in Vermont was built on ledge rock all exposed till it met the sea of
sand at the low side of the house.  The stairs descended at the middle of
the basement:  to the left dinosaur land, to the right earth mover Tonkas,
tractors and architecture... 900 square feet of sand protected from the
elements, accept when it rained hard or during mud season when a small
stream ran over the stone to the south-east corner of the house where a hole
had been drilled by Hezzy, the farmer up the road, to alleviate the flooding
problem.  He allowed that water was a funny thing of nature and his
experience had told him it was best not to go against it.  While this amused
us, it also convinced our Mum that the downstairs would never be more than a
sand pile.  Yes... Our little built environments were only disturbed for
improving or restoring areas the cousins messed up.  Pyramids could be next
door to the Frank Lloyd Wright stuff and although there were bridges,
fences, walls and roads there was no ownership or property rights and there
had to be a unanimous decision before any demolition.  Sometimes we'd get
bored and rebuild a corner, but you could always tell what came before.
Wars were not allowed.  Outside we were Indians and knights with forts, but
inside was regulated and protected.  You could be banned from the basement
for "bad form".  There were no roads in dinosaur land and the only violence
was the occasional volcano eruption.  We wandered. My brothers and I
developed these worlds over a seven year period until barn dances and the
Rutland Fair had more allure.  But that wonderful space and freedom of the
imagined places built of sand I"ll always remember - the wandering period
before cars.
The second sense of wandering is from Virgil's Eclogues. As a teenager I
became truly influenced by his concept of "montes erantes".  Mountain
wandering, a Roman version of the Australian walk-about.  Not to be confused
with the American Indian deity "mountain shifter".  He's the guy  that moves
the mountains behind each other when you go for a long walk.  (Who is
Brunelleschi?)  This kind of wandering was therapeutic and involved finding
oneself and as a consequence lead to answers for questions of the real
world.
The third sense of wandering is what John Leeke does.  You don't have to
memorize Witgenstein to understand this.  You speak, talk and write until
you become something, namely your language.

With respect,
Leland