BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 11:38:06 -0400
Another web scare.  Search of US House and Senate web sites reveals no "Bill 602P."  Copied below is what I found.  I expend no energy formatting it from the cut and paste routine...I hate these alarming alarms.

106th CONGRESS 1st Session S. 602 To amend chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, to provide for congressional review of any rule promulgated by the Internal Revenue Service that increases Federal revenue, and for other purposes. _______________________________________________________________________ IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES March 11, 1999 Mr. Shelby (for himself, Mr. Bond, Mr. Coverdell, Mr. Hagel, Mr. Kyl, Mr. Burns, Mr. Gramm, Mr. Ashcroft, Mr. Thomas, Mr. Abraham, Mr. Grassley, Mr. Helms, Mr. Inhofe, Mr. Sessions, Mr. Grams, Mr. Cochran, Mr. Hutchinson, and Ms. Snowe) introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on Governmental Affairs _______________________________________________________________________ A BILL To amend chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, to provide for congressional review of any rule promulgated by the Internal Revenue Service that increases Federal revenue, and for other purposes. Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,SECTION 1. CONGRESSIONAL REVIEW OF INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE RULES THAT INCREASE REVENUE. (a) Short Title.--This Act may be cited as the ``Stealth Tax Prevention Act''. (b) In General.--Section 804(2) of title 5, United States Code, is amended to read as follows: ``(2) The term `major rule'-- ``(A) means any rule that-- ``(i) the Administrator of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs of the Office of Management and Budget finds has resulted in or is likely to result in-- ``(I) an annual effect on the economy of $100,000,000 or more; ``(II) a major increase in costs or prices for consumers, individual industries, Federal, State, or local government agencies, or geographic regions; or ``(III) significant adverse effects on competition, employment, investment, productivity, innovation, or on the ability of United States-based enterprises to compete with foreign- based enterprises in domestic and export markets; or ``(ii)(I) is promulgated by the Internal Revenue Service; and ``(II) the Administrator of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs of the Office of Management and Budget finds that the implementation and enforcement of the rule has resulted in or is likely to result in any net increase in Federal revenues over current practices in tax collection or revenues anticipated from the rule on the date of the enactment of the statute under which the rule is promulgated; and ``(B) does not include any rule promulgated under the Telecommunications Act of 1996 and the amendments made by that Act.''. <all>

Dan Becker, Exec. Dir., RHDC
Raleigh Historic Districts Commission