BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Krugman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 09:08:55 EST
In a message dated 3/5/99 1:41:17 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> Two home remedies for outwitting squirells (did I spell that right?) which
>  might also work to deter your puddle-wonderful skunks.
>
>  1) mothballs spread around the nesting site
>  2) cayenne pepper liberally spread around nesting site

Thanks for all those who have replied to my skunk question. Heidi's suggestion
may win the prize as the cheapest one, unless I have to buy these supplies by
the truckload. As for shooting them --- arg. Besides, I'd have to sit out on
my front porch all day with a gun!  Hardly the stuff of which suburban life is
made... besides, I'm a terrible shot. I'd probably wind up hitting the
neighbor's kid or something....all the money I saved on other remedies would
be handed over to my lawyer!

Also suggested was a dog, which might be a thought, unless one worries about
it getting sprayed while in pursuit - in which case I would have skunk smell
lying next to my bed instead of wafting up from the basement. Also suggested -
an electric fence -- cool.  Might have to try that one, too.

And if all else fails, I can always rip up my porch, fill the space with
rubblestone and pour in concrete -- that'll show them suckers...

PS I once read the memoirs of a 19th century Montclair resident, Julius
Wheeler, who never spelled the word 'squirrels' the same way twice!  I think
he had at least 20 different spellings. Tough word -- good thing we have
fpell-chekc these dayf.