BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dean Koga <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 23:38:17 -0500
On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, jcarriker wrote:

> This book (Architecture Transformed: New Life for Old Buildings by Nora
> Ricther Greer 1998)
>
> The foreword stated (written by Hugh Hardy, FAIA): "Neither pure
> conservation nor total restoration recognizes the realities of contemporary
> building codes, lighting levels, environmental systems, security concerns,
> or the needs of present-day activities". The rest of the foreword he argues
> for adaptive reuse, because architects are torn between tradition and "stark
> buildings" and because preservation "enriches our understanding of
> ourselves".

I suspect that Hugh Hardy was talking mostly about decorative interiors of
the type he has worked on, including the Rainbow Room, the New Amsterdam
Theater, and Radio City Music Hall, among many others.  Sometimes historic
interiors can't be returned to their original states because they no
longer comply with the Building Code, even with exemptions for historic
buildings.  But compliance with building codes has had a minor effect on
the historic interiors I've mentioned.  More important are the changes in
light levels and modern uses.  Lighting in public spaces was much dimmer
in the past, and decorative color schemes were sometimes very bright to
compensate for the dim light.  Hugh Hardy argues that toning down the
colors under brighter modern light comes close to approximating the
original experience of the space, even though the colors may not exactly
match the original.  I worked with him at the New Amsterdam Theater, and
that was his approach.  The resulting space is vibrant, feels like a space
that has history, and is a joy to be in.  The spirit of the original
architects, artists, and artisans can be felt there, although their work
has not been exactly reproduced.

Dean Koga