BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:42:28 -0500
Ken wrote:  "Clumps of books are arranged by category as whimsey and
Saturday morning dawdling dictates. Business books on one shelf, UFO books
in the bedroom, etc...

I have an acquaintance whose father used a most interesting (and
idiosyncratic) method of shelving his books.  He placed his books by authors
who he thought would have gotten along with each other.  Think about it.
That method requires an intimate knowledge of the authors as well as their
subjects, but it also means that as you learn more about an author, or as
you addmore books to the library, you might relocate books based on "new
friendships".

I like Ken's idea of seredipitous discovery of books while looking for other
books.

When I go to someone's house, I often gravitate to the library to see what
they are really interested in.  I have found that people will lie or pose
but libraries tell the truth.  If a person is interested enough to buy a
book, they are REALLY interested.  I've often used that information as a
conversation starter when I'm at somone's house for the first time.

As for my system of book storage, I use the "by subject" and randomly within
subject.  Like Ken I rely on my mental map of what books I have and where
they are.  This even works for the 20-30 boxes of books in the attic,
unpacked since our first house move some 15 years ago.  I can still find a
book in a box if I know I need it.  Of course, no one else can find them, or
knows where to return them, but I prefer they go through me for those
purposes anyway.  I like handling the books, opening them to show
interesting illustrations or relevant sections of the selected book, and I
like to check them over for condition upon their return to the fold.

Here's another question for all you bibliophiles.  Do you write your name
and/or any other information in the book?  I've been told by dealers that
once you write your name in the book, it reduces its value on the rare/used
book market (unless of course you become famous and die).  I like to "brand"
each of my books with name, date purchased, location purchased, and price.
And I intend on becoming famous!!
Michael Lynch