BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - His DNA is this long.
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 17:36:14 EDT
In a message dated 98-07-07 11:17:47 EDT, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Listen- the architect is responsible to know what it was & what it will be.

Yes, but it is inevitable that something will be missed sometime and there
should be a means of resolving the conflicts without enmity. I don't believe
having a mechanism in the project to resolve missed conditions, such that
neither the builder or the design professional get hurt, absolves the design
professional of a requirement of due diligence in pre-construction
investigations. The amount of time a builder has to investigate a site before
the bid deadline is usually way too short for any reasonable investigations to
occur by the contractor.

Example: What I get for white bread. Today I looked at a 16 story building
with 150 lf of elevation on a corner site. I was asked to give a price to do
the repointing of the brickwork, fix the broken brick, fix where the brick is
displaced, paint the windows, and caulk the windows, including all scaffolding
and pedestrian protection. No drawings, no specifications, one sheet of paper
hand written with the bottom torn off. At first I figured I would give it due
diligence, call some people, get glazed brick prices, actually figure out how
much of the brick joints need repointing -- and told them to expect the
estimate in 2 weeks. They started freaking out on the sidewalk. I have to have
the estimate done and in their hands by Friday. Only one of four similar
projects due Friday. What the hell is it with Friday? It took me a week to get
them to answer their phone so that I could schedule today's visit. When I
asked them on the phone how I would find them in the building they said, "Very
well, thank you." I thought I was being generous at 2 weeks. It takes me 2
weeks of pressure to do an honest estimate, I can do a BS CYA estimate with
two-dozen exclusions in 1/2 hour. What do you think they are going to get? I'm
tired of this crap. This is the next job I will probably get.

][<en