Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Gregg Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 14:35:40 -0400
> Date:    Fri, 7 Aug 1998 04:07:56 -0500
> From:    James Crocker <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Trying to go paleo
>
> I would really like to go all paleo in my diet, but for months I have struggled with grains.  I
> still like to eat whole grain home made breads and have whole grains for breakfast from time to
> time.
>
> I know, people are groaning that this isn't Neanderthin style at all.  But to aid me in my pursuit
> of the paleo diet (or at least wean myself off grains) does anyone have gluten free recipes for
> bread, and maybe even pancakes?  I just have an addiction to pancakes, although I do things that
> reduce the pure flour part quite a bit.  I also use applesauce and cinnamon instead of syrup, so
> it's not a total loss.

James-- I have been struggling with the grain issue too.  First, if you
exam the posts on grains on our sister Paleodiet listserv, the theme on
grains seems to be that negative consequences only occur when consumption
of them becomes very high (like 50%+ of one's diet).  Second, glutenous,
highly processed grains appear to cause more problems than nonglutenous,
minimally processed ones.  I have found that both my exercise sessions and
my bowel movements are significantly improved by eating some "bread."
Because I'm convinced that the literature touting the importance of
"omega-3" fatty acids is right on the money (these acids are critical to
maintaining good health and should be in balance with omega-6's in a
ratio not to exceed 4:1, and ideally approaching 1:1 [6's:3's]), I make a
"bread" that is high in omega 3's.  I eat a "loaf" a week, using the
following recipe:

* 2 cups organic Amaranth flour
* 2 cups organic Quinoa flour (which I grind in my electric coffee mill)
* 6 The Country Hen egg whites (The Country Hen farmers feed their
      chickens flax seed, and the resulting eggs are high in Omega 3's)
* 3 The Country Hen egg yolks
* 1 cup ground organic flax seeds (which I also grind in my coffee mill)
* 1/2 cup oil: 1/6 cup organic flax seed oil + 1/6 cup organic extra
      virgin olive oil + 1/6 cup organic cold-pressed canola oil
* A few cups of spring water (enough to give the dough the consistency of
cake batter)

I mix this up with a big spoon, pour it into a glass cake pan coated with
olive oil, and cook at a low temperature for an hour (275 degrees or so),
letting it "cool" in the oven.  The result is a very moist, tasty
(according my taste buds), chewy bread.  I usually butter it with some
almond butter or Spectrum spread (canola oil based, no transfatty acids).

Like I said, it really fuels my workouts and keeps my innards functioning
smoothly.

Also, note that Todd reported to our list that quinoa is a fruit, not a
grain.  If Todd or anyone else has a web address or other reference on
quinoa and amaranth (more than just a few cursory lines), I'd appreciate
hearing from you.

Cheers!

Gregg C.