NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Don Marcotte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 21:50:24 -0400
>I could also use cooking tips on using soy products as a
>substitute...what things are difficult to cook/make with soymilk?

Patricia:
One characteristic of milk is that it helps "set" food. Now that I use soy
milk almost exclusively, I often add a tablespoon of corn starch (not a
problem for me but maybe for others). I also may add an extra egg as well
(again not a problem for me). The main problem for certain foods is the
taste of soy milk. It is not a problem in bread but doesn't work as well in
other prepared foods. Fortunately we can buy two brands of soy milk locally
here in Toronto that taste so close to milk you don't even think about it.
I use them on my cereal and have full enjoyment of eating my mini wheats
whereas the old fashioned soy milks used to cause me to gag almost!

I have found making puddings with soy milk to be a big challenge. Cakes &
other pastries are usually not too difficult to make without dairy. Soy
milk works fine in mashed potatoes but creamy soups are more challenging
because of the soy flavour (Canadian spelling!), depending of course on the
taste of the soy product. I use soy or rice based cheeses and they work
fine. Today I had cheddar cheese snacks for lunch using soy cheese slices.
They tasted fine. Unfortunately, these slices are about double the cost of
normal slices.

Good luck.

I can't help but mention that your medical costs would have been covered by
our universal health care system here in Canada. Anyone who wants to
discuss this, please e-mail me privately

Don M