BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - Dwell time 5 minutes." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 07:49:39 -0800
7bit
From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
mflynch wrote:

> What I'd like to know is where have all the childhood Legos gone?
> Are all the parents playing with them now, now that the kids have gone off
> to college??

I would not exactly say we are playing with them. My personal experience is that
it is impossible to walk into the bathroom without stepping on them and equally
impossible to take a bath without somehow ending up sitting on them in the tub.
We find them everywhere in the house set up to live out the fragments of small
adventures that our son set them upon, but that he has since forgotten. I'm sure
they are exploring the secrets of the house plumbing in ways that would rival a
Jules Verne adventure. I think it has been a few years since he played with
them, though I suspect I could be wrong, despite his being in college he does
visit on weekends and therefore could be sneaking a touch here and there. I
would expect some of them inhabit corners of his dorm room. Though I do not
recall his ever building any "standard" item out of them, like an Apollo launch
tower or a Pirate grotto, they were used extensively to play out his stories. I
do not complain, I fear not complain, as the Legos may be as much an imaginary
nuisance to me as my wife complains my books are to her. We bought him many, and
repeated buying them, and he and his friends spent many hours with them. I
suppose it is one more thing that we can skoop up and threaten that he has to
keep forever, he loves that. We also have a myriad of small, thumbnail size,
clay monsters, some fearful and some outright friendly, that tend to inhabit
places where dog hair and old fudgecycle sticks likewise congregate to
hibernate.

I heard on PRI that Lego, a Dutch (?) firm, is on shaky financial ground. I
can't imagine why since we made such a large investment in them.
--
][<en Follett
SOS Gab & Eti -- http://www.geocities.com/~orgrease