From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 07:27:05 -0400
On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, C. Loon wrote:

> Is suet/tallow commonly sold on its own, at a grocery store, or do y'all
> just remove fat from cuts of meat and render that? I couldn't find suet at
> my local supermarket.

You should use suet, which is the deposit of fat from around the
kidneys, for making pemmican.  The intramuscular fat from cuts of
meat has more polyunsaturated fat in it, and is therefore more
likely to spoil.  Finding suet is another matter.  I occasionally
see it in the grocery store, but often the butcher just throws it
away, so you might have to ask for it.  A regular butcher shop is
a better bet, if you can find one.  There's a good chance that
the butcher will give it to you for free.

Note that suet is not all fat; there is also a "rind" left over
after the rendering.  So in estimating how much you need don't
assume that all of it will be melted into fat.  I don't make
pemmican anymore, and have forgotten the approximate yield of fat
per pound of suet.  Maybe someone else can help with this.

Todd Moody