From:
Don Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Sep 1998 18:22:56 -0700
I've upgraded my bro'-in-laws old system to an AMD K6-266 w/ ASUS SP97-V
mobo on Windows 98 and am having difficulty getting his legacy Sound
Blaster 16 (c2830) soundcard to work correctly.  Get major distortion and
crackling sounds when sound is played.  I've tried installing DOS drivers,
but still same problem. On diagnostics there is no problem at 8bit sound
but same crackling/hiss at 16bit. Anyone know what the problem might be.
Is there a way to turn off 16bit and use only 8bit in the Win98 drivers?
BTW, I've tried the newest drivers from the SB site and still same problem.

All jumpers and settings seem correct; have installed and reinstalled using
different settings. There do not appear to be any conflicts. I installed my
ESS1688 board with the same settings and it works fine (Upper DMA is '0'
instead of '5' on the ESS, however--there is no option for DMA='0' on the
SB16 jumper settings).  He'd like to avoid buying a new sound card if
possible.  Thanks for your help!

Don Gray
NetCaliber Computer Services
(541)923-3255  [voice/fax]
http://www.netcaliber.com

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**